Boarding Bulletin Board - September 19, 2019
author: Mike Silcock
‘Boarding Bulletin Board (T3 20/9/19)
News from around the Boarding Precinct
- The end of Term 3 is always a busy time for the College particularly as a number of the College’s departments hold their celebration dinners. One of the many advantages of Boarding is being able to immerse yourself in all the opportunities that are on offer, and these dinners are a reminder to us just how many of Boarders participate and achieve so much. Whilst the names listed below are those that have won awards for outstanding performances we wish to take this time and congratulate all our Boarders, who have stepped out of their comfort zone to challenged themselves with new endeavours. The following are the Boarders who received awards on their respective celebration nights:
John James Medal Dinner:
Cooper Atchison (12) 1st XVIII, Best and Fairest and John James Medal Winner.
Dennis Coolwell (12) 2nd XVIII SPC Blue, Best and Fairest.
Connor Shugg (12) 2nd XVIII SPC Green, Best and Fairest.
Harry Ryan (8) Junior SPC White, Best and Fairest.
Isaac Wareham (12) and Jack Tillig (12) were also acknowledged for making the Vic Country Under 18s AFL side.
Eric Yang (7) Under 13s Most Improved Player.
Jayden Tonks (9) Under 16s Players’ Player.
Special recognition must go to Dwayne Hayes (7) for performing the ‘Acknowledgement of Country’ at the start of the evening.
Masataka Saruwatari (9), one of our two Japanese Exchange Students, won the Coaches’ Award for the SPC Green Junior Squad.
Performing Arts Dinner:
Alex Byham (11) Sir Bernard Heinze Award for Overall Music Achievement.
Bradley Singe (10) Piano Endeavour Award for showing.
A reminder that all photos from these events have either been posted on the St Patrick’s Old Collegians’ Association Facebook page or can be seen on our SPC Boarding page. Please join these pages to find the latest news, pictures and celebrations.
- Recently, the College’s Chess Team participated in the State Chess Championships. Whilst the students represented the College well and gave their all, unfortunately they did not qualify for the National Championships. Congratulations must go to all of the participants and in particular one of our Boarders, Connor Shugg (12).
- On Tuesday 17th of September the College celebrated its Annual Leadership Transfer Assembly. This event is an opportunity for the wider College Community to come together to celebrate the tireless work of our outgoing 2019 Student Leaders and formally recognise our incoming 2020 Student Leaders. Again, we congratulate our newly appointed Captain of Boarding Benedict Howard and Vice-Captains of Boarding Patrick Rea and Ethan Councillor. We look forward to their leadership over the forthcoming year.
- This season a number of our Boarders have enjoyed success with their local football clubs with three teams in particular making it to Grand Finals. This last weekend the Redan Under 17 Reserves, including Xavier Hayter, Bailey Hosemans, Sam Scott, Tom Gorman, Tyson Tipuamantamerri and Jack Liston, celebrated a Grand Final victory, as did Nick Hodgson for the North Ballart Under 17s Seniors. We congratulate all these Boarders on their victories and look forward to following their progress next year. This weekend the Redan U19s Seniors, including Tyrese Thompson, Dennis Coolwell, Myles King, Mick Derrick, Elijah Kelly and Kayne Councillor will contest their Grand Final against North Ballarat. We wish these Boarders and their team the best of luck.
- This past Thursday our Boarders’ Basketball team (one of the College’s 2ndV teams) who compete in the BAS 2ndV competition won their Grand Final match 50 -20 over Ballarat Grammar. This caps a wonderful run of five consecutive Grand Final successes for our Boarders who love to play with one another in a competitive team. Coached by one of our own Year12s, Lou Paul, the success was a wonderful way to finish the season. Congratulations must go to all boys who played throughout the season.
Following this, on the Friday evening, our Boarders were treated to an NBL practice match between Melbourne United and the Illawarra Hawks at the new Ballarat Sports and Event Centre. The Boarders and Staff all had a great time at the event, which included being able to support former SPC student, Sam Short, playing for United.
- A reminder that over the coming holiday period our Year 12 Boarders will be completing their practice exams. Whilst some will return to the College between September 30th – October 3rd to sit these exams, our Boarders from interstate will be able to take these exams home to complete. This will be a challenging holiday for many of our Year 12s and we encourage them to find a healthy balance between much needed study and time for themselves before they return to us at the start of Term (4) for their final few weeks.
Term 3 Up-Coming Events
- Friday 20th September – End of Term 3 and Boarder Parent Teacher Interviews
Term 4 Up-Coming Events
Sunday 20th October – Term 4/Yr12 Boarders’ Leaving Mass and Dinner